Dec 10, 2014

Homemade Christmas Advent Calendar

My kids always look forward to advent calendars as Christmas draws near. I usually buy the pre made calendars from the store with a holiday scene pictured on the front and little windows that open to reveal a small chocolate.

On December 1st,  I surprised my family with a homemade advent calendar! I started with plain brown paper lunch sacks I picked up from the dollar store and some pretty red scrapbook paper I had on hand. I used a free printable I found online (here: advent printable) for the numbers and used double sided tape to put them all together.

Once all the bags were decorated, I added a treat\activity to each one.

Some examples of the treats:
Peppermint Bark
Mini Candy Canes
Chocolate Snowmen
York peppermint Patties
Mini Candybars
Gum
Chocolate Coins

Activities:
Hot Chocolate Bar
No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
Movie Night w/ a Bag of Popcorn
Rice Crispy Treats
Decorate Cookies for Santa (on Christmas Eve)


I folded down the tops of the bags,  punched two holes in each one, and tied them closed with ribbon. They turned out darling, my kids are loving them and I had fun making them. I'd like to make another calendar next year, I think it should become a tradition in our home each year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...