Jun 15, 2012

Garden Update

Here's a few pictures from this last week. I love the entrence, it feels like my own little secret garden tucked around the side of the house. Who knew you could make something so amazing from a pile of old wood pallets!  My four potato plants are looking great. I've never in my life grown potatoes though, so we will see what happens but I'm pretty excited so far. The first two rows of corn are actually looking like corn and the second two rows (planted weeks later) have sprouted and are a few inches tall.


One of my eggplants has a flower so hopefully I will see little eggplants soon. (I had no idea eggplants would have purple flowers, go figure).  Out of my entire garden, I am most excited for the tomatoes. Most are at least a couple feet tall now and I'm having to fight the aphids for them but, so far I am winning. I'm spraying them every few days with a homemake bug spray (1 TLB soap and 1 TLB baking soda disolved in a spray bottle) and it's working really well. Most of the plants are from a mixed packet of heirloom tomato seeds so I could end up with a few of the same type of plant but I really hope  I end up with at least one of each six tomato types out of the nine I planted from the packet. 

I also have flowers on my tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and the nasturtiums are starting to bloom.

After I watered today, I harvested a few strawberries, two heads of  broccoli, a tiny bouquet of flowers and a handfull of cherries off the trees. I would certainly starve if I had to live off the land but I feel pretty accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...