Jul 10, 2014

House Edition - Roof

It started on a rainy day. I heard dripping coming from the living room. I followed the sound to realizes the dripping was coming from inside the wall between the front door and living room window. Dang it.


I had three reputable companies, with great reviews, come out and give me an estimate.  All three told me the same thing.  I need a whole new roof. Dang it again. I was just about to start remodeling my kitchen but unfortunately a new roof jumps to the top of the 'to do' list.

My house has concrete tile shingles. Some people like the look of them, I didn't really care for the style or the current color. As much as I hated the idea of forking out at least seven grand for a new roof, I was looking forward to being able to chose the look I wanted.





Originally, we were planning on taking off the old roof ourselves to save some money.  Come to find out, concrete tiles are notorious for housing wasps. Each roofing company looked under the tiles to check the condition of the decking. Each company looked at different area, and every time there were wasps nests. Between the wasps, the weight of the tile, and the weather reaching 100 degrees... we opted to pay the extra money and let the roofing company take care of it.

After the old roof was off, it was clear why it was leaking. This roof had been leaking for a while and there was a lot of rot and damage. Look at the two huge holes! The entire surface needed new plywood. I'm so glad I didn't put it off after seeing what bad shape it was in.


I was so happy with the end results, it looks much better than the old style. The company gave me a great price and even took a thousand dollars off the cost of all the plywood and additional installation.   Next, I will need to tackle new gutters. I'm looking forward to painting the outside of the house so it's no longer the ugly duckling that is currently is.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...