Oct 22, 2011

Sun Room turn Greenhouse







This is, hopefully, the last year of my tiny container deck garden. I'm wishful of a huge backyard garden next year!  In the meantime, I do want to get as much as I can out of my humble little garden. Last week, I took a folding table in my sun room and set it up in front of a huge window inside. I didn't want to have to run out and spend money on drip trays to put under each pot to catch overflow from watering.. so I started brainstorming!

 After walking though the house I decided to take a plastic drop cloth (left over from my last painting project) to cover the table, but needed to form a 'reservoir' so water wouldn't drip off the side of the table... then I spotted the empty water bottles in our recycle bin! It was the perfect (free) solution. Jackson helped by covering the front side of one of Ashleigh's old science fair project display boards with foil and we placed it behind the plants to reflect some of the sunlight back onto the plants.

I am hoping to grow through the entire winter season. I will be starting some lettuce soon, when the flowers are done blooming in the containers I want to use.

    

I might have to get a growing light if we don't have enough sunshine this winter but 
so far so good, everything is growing well! The carrots are coming up as well as the basil I planted from the seeds on my old plant. I have tons of new tomato flowers!


    
    
 My silly Jackson in a tomato cage!


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...