Sep 5, 2014

Why wait?

I've wanted to learn how to crochet for as long as I can remember. My Grandma Alice crocheted. Every person in my family has something she had made. I grew up with one of her pink afghans on my bed. I remember her sitting in her burnt orange recliner, happily stitching along in her living room. In the back of my mind I always thought, "I  have plenty of time to learn, so there's no hurry". When I think about it, I have put off many things I've wanted to do because theres always time later.

With the news of my cousin passing, it hit me that our life here can be cut short at any time, for any one of us. In honor of him, I was going to stop putting something off that I thought I would really enjoy. There's no reason to put something off that could bring more joy into my life.


No more waiting. I went to the craft store and bought a set of crochet hooks and a skein of yarn. Over the course of the next two days, I crocheted a scarf! Thank goodness for youtube and the ability to rewind again, and again, and again...

My kids were impressed that it actually looked like a real scarf versus the elementary school craft project I found out they were expecting. Jackson told me I should start a website to sell them. (I can see him as a business owner someday) Ashleigh instantly wanted to start picking other colors of yarn so I could expand her ever growing scarf collection. I was thrilled to create something we would actually wear!

My second project is a blanket and I'm really enjoying it. Both of my kids have since asked me to teach them.  I honestly don't know why I waited so long. I hope this is just the beginning of a long list of things I've wanted to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...