May 8, 2011

Mother's Day


Being a mother teaches you patience and how to 'roll with the punches'. My perfectionist side tends to plan everything out, so kinks in the road keep me on my feet. After I became a mother myself, I've been more appreciative of my own mom. I think of all the times I left the kitchen a mess, or left my things around the house and all the times I could have offered to help cook dinner as I was growing up. I sure appreciate her patience. I can't remember a single time my mom ever lost her temper or even raised her voice.


Thank you for being such a great example of a good mom.

Mother's Day was odd this year. My kids were gone camping with their Dad for 4 days. Originally he wanted to take them this weekend, but that would have meant Jackson would miss his Karate tournament and I would rather them be gone Mother's Day than him have to miss it. Jackson has been working hard in Karate for the last few months to get ready. I said as long as the kids were home by late afternoon, so we could have dinner together, it would be fine.

I had been planning on taking my mom out to her favorite resurant for brunch for about a month. I had her write it on her calendar to keep the date open.  My brother had a similar idea I guess because I found out the day before mother's day that him and his girlfriend were going over to her house to cook her breakfast. Long story short, I canceled our reservation and picked up some extra groceries, woke up early and joined them in the morning to cook. It turned out delicious and we all had a great visit, just not at all what I had planned. You're supposed to sleep in and have other people cook for you on Mother's Day! haha


I heard from my kids around 2 PM,  I got a sweet text message from Ashleigh's phone:



"Happy Mother's Day Mommy. Your so amazing you take care of us and help us no matter what. I love you bunches. Can't wait to get home and see you! <3 love you lots and lots 
- Ashleigh and Jackson"

They got home around 5 PM. A little sunburned and absolutely filthy. I could tell they had a great time. They told me they got fast food for dinner on the way home. Well, there went that idea. The next two hours consisted of getting them showered, and their clothes washed and ready for school in the morning. "A mother's work is never done". We talked and laughed and they told me all about the camping trip.. and the tons of caterpillars that were there. Lots of hugs and snuggles. Then off to bed.


Is it bad of me to admit that I look forward to doing nothing and getting papered on Mother's Day? But at the same time, I know how much my kids love and appreciate me and that's really what matters. I know that I'm being the best mommy I can be.


There was a large black moth in the hallway that night. I joked with the kids the next morning that a caterpillar turned into a moth and snuck home with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...