Nov 15, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

I'm not a huge fan of the cold but Autumn is my favorite season. I love boots, scarves and cozy sweaters. I love the bright reds, oranges, and yellows on the trees. I love apple cider & hot cocoa (especially piled high with whipped cream).  I had high hopes of a long autumn and a short winter but, alas it's just mid November and there's been a foot of snow outside for a week now.

I'm trying to fight the temptation of rich oey-goey pack on the calorie deliciousness which is even harder to do when it's a cold day. I found this recipe online and thought it was delicious! I had three helpings plus ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's a keeper in my book. I think it's the perfect alternative to cheesy potato casseroles. This will be joining my list of side dishes at the Thanksgiving dinner table this year.

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
Serves 6

1 medium spaghetti squash

2 tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy/omit if you don't like heat)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
½ cup light sour cream
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds.  Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes or 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.  In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl.  Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well.  Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.


Place into a 375ยบ for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top. 


*I found it on Pintrest. Original picture and recipe by Dandy Dishes


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...