Oct 13, 2013

Inspection and Packing

There was a hiccup during the home inspection. We had all the utilities turned onto the house for the inspection but there was no power to the house! I certainly wasn't buying a house without power. I had no idea what worked and didn't work in the house with no power to test things. The main breaker to the house wouldn't turn on. I had 2 options. I could just hope that after I bought the house and paid to replace the breaker that everything worked or I could pay $200 to have the breaker fixed now (not owning the house yet) and risk being out that money if there were major problems or the purchase fell through for some reason.

I decided it was worth the risk and had the breaker replaced. The inspector came back the next day and luckily, didn't find any major problems. He told us that there was indication of some leaking in the crawl space around the main water valve, and the plugs in the house aren't grounded. (typical of this period house). Nothing to change my mind about moving forward with the purchase. Yes. One step closer. Time to get packing.

Packing station

I wanted to go though EVERYTHING so we could streamline what we were packing. I didn't want want to move a bunch of stuff we didn't need anymore. Our house was a crazy mess for a while but we donated so much stuff! I stopped keeping track after about 15 large boxes/bags.




 It was a little bit of a bitter sweet as I was clearing shelves and washing curtains. I had spent the last 7 years at this house and updated/upgraded a lot. Many, many, many hours of sweat equity. At the same time, I was excited to start the process again in my own house (had been renting the upstairs of my brother's house). I was really looking forward to having my own laundry room and never having to coordinate letting my dog out with my brother's.  That also meant that my brother and sister-in-law would get to move upstairs (at least doubling their living space) and I was super excited for them.

 We tried to have fun even though it was a lot of work. Treat/drink breaks helped

        

 Donation piles & stacking packed boxes in the game room

 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...