Aug 12, 2010

Command central

I meant to blog this months ago but was reminded about it today when the kids were having issues with each other.

This is our "Family Organizer". It has the kid's chore charts, and extra weekly jobs (which they take turns doing).  Instead of  "Chore Chart" on the top of their page it says, "My name is ______ and this is how I contribute to my family". Even though they are expected to do their chores, I want them to know it's appreciated and by us all pitching in together it helps our family so we can spend more time having fun together rather than mom spending so much time cleaning up after them.  If every circle has a sticker in it at the end of the week, they get their allowance. If they have all of their chores done for the day by 7 PM (which is when I start reminding them to get them done) they earn an extra 1/2 hour of TV time (they get 2 hours per day which includes TV, movies, or video games). The TV's don't even get turned on until homework & chores are done during the school year.

Right under our bulletin board is our "If,Then chart". I bought this chart from Doorpost years ago after reading about the great success many parents were having with it. This chart has three columns. The first column list misbehavior (such as, arguing, teasing, lying, etc.) the second column is a bible verse related to that sin and the last column comes blank where you write the consequence for each action. The chart came in black & white. We colored it in together then took it to get laminated. I used a dry erase marker to write in the consequences  so they could be changed as the kids got older. I don't think a 2 minute timeout would be very effective for a 12 year old  haha. For a while I had talked to their Dad about consequences at this house, and I coordinated with our "If, Then chart", so the discipline would be the same whether the kids where with him or with me.

We had put the chart away for a while but put it back up when I made our 'Family Organizer'. The kids and I sat down together and agreed on all the consequences now that they are older. I love the consistency it promotes, all three of us are on the same page and the kids know what to expect. Instead of the kids arguing or complaining about a consequence, they know what is going to happen and they can't talk their way out of it (which they don't even bother trying anymore).

Today, at work, I got a text message from Ashleigh (who was home babysitting Jackson since I work part time) saying that Jackson was being bad and not listening. I replied back to have him read my text (I love that he can read now!) and told him that he needed to listen to Ashleigh because she was in charge and do what was on the "If, Then Chart". Ashleigh texted back saying they immediately stopped arguing and he took his consequence without complaint. He knew his sister wasn't trying to be mean or bully him since she was in charge, just simply enforcing our rules which he helped decide on & agreed to. Defiantly worth the $6.00 I paid for it about 5 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...