Apr 24, 2011

Spring Break

The fruit trees are flowering and bulbs are blossoming but mother nature still isn't convinced it's spring around here. So, while I would have loved to have spent spring break in shorts and flip flops, lounging poolside, we still made the most of this cool weather.

I printed off lots of coloring sheets & mazes for the kids to do. Popsicle sticks, a glue gun and a rainbow of paint colors alone are good for endless possibilities...and hours of entertainment.

We cooked, we baked, we played and we crafted all week long. Jackson had a sleepover Monday night; had I not told them to lay down and start a movie around 1 AM, they may have stayed up all night. I admit it was great to hear them laughing and giggling all night long but I don't like going to sleep while they are still up and it was past my bedtime. Tuesday I took all three kids to see a movie. They chose HOP, it had some funny parts and was pretty cute. The boys sat in the very front row at the theater!

A few of my favorites projects were the string eggs we made by dipping embroidery floss into starch and wrapping it around balloons. They turned out fantastic! I wish we would have made more. I'd love a whole basket full of them. We'll have to make them again next year.

Dying flowers was fun too; the kids liked watching the food coloring drops as much as watching the flowers change colors over the last few days.

The most delicious project were the edible nests, complete with eggs. Yum!




Didn't take a picture of the cookies, but looked like these


 We did head out to the park on Thursday, even though the weather wasn't great. We played for about an hour on the playground before the wind started to pick up. I had two kites in the trunk of my car (meant to go with their Easter baskets) and I couldn't resist giving them to the kids early. A windy day and the wide open field of the park; what a perfect time!

The tails on the kites were much longer than I was expecting, they looked great and the kids loved it. Ashleigh had to chase after her kite after letting go of the string, but lucky for us the sting snagged on a tree and we were able to get it back. We must have been quite the site to see however because the tree it got stuck in was young so we couldn't climb it without the branches simply breaking off. Our solution was Ashleigh standing on my shoulders stretching up as high as she could to reach it!



Ashleigh's kite had Buzz Light Year, a character from one of her favorite movies (Toy Story), as the kite launched into the air she proclaimed, "To infinity, and beyond!", which is his tag line. Very fitting.





I had just pulled my phone out to take a video of the kids flying their kites and Ash let go of her string again. All I could do was stand there and laugh as she was screaming and running after it. I thought for sure it was a goner but we recovered it again. The third time however, she wasn't so lucky:


I wonder if it's still stuck in the tree. I told Ash I would buy her a new kite but next time we are tying the kite string around her wrist! haha   By then the wind was really blowing hard and it was starting to rain. It got very cold, very quickly so we headed home to snuggle up with some snacks and a movie. 

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mom! You do the most fun things with your kids!

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...