Jan 20, 2012

Dehydrated Fruits & Veggies


I've had my mom's food dehydrator on loan for years with the hopes of using it often. Since these pictures show my first attempt at dehydrating, I'd say my plan failed...badly. Never the less, I am using it now. Sunflower Market had some great sales on fruit this week. Since we try not to buy snacks like chips, cookies, etc. anymore, I still wanted to have snacks around the house and to take to work. I used a few different  recipes I found online and put my own spin on them.



Bananas - soaked in a mixture of juice from one large lemon and agave nectar
Strawberries - just sliced
Kale - mixed with olive oil and a little sea salt
Apples - simply dusted with cinnamon
Zucchini - mixed with olive oil then garlic powder and sea salt
Fruit leather - couple handfuls  of strawberries, few slices of pineapple, orange and six blackberries in the blender with agave nectar to sweeten

I didn't measure anything just added things to taste. Everything turned out well. I was surprised that I actually liked the Kale chips. The zucchini turned out pretty oily so I spread them out on a paper towel for the night to soak up the extra olive oil and they were much better in the morning. I'm making another batch today so I tweaked things just a bit. I sprinkled the strawberries with just a little bit of sugar and added some Parmesan cheese to one tray of kale. Hopefully I will use it often now and keep trying new things. Ashleigh's taste is similar to mine so she will eat it, the trick is getting the boys on board too!


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...